How to work with storage in SoftLayer
Softlayer offers us different types of storage:
- SATA II
- Portable storage
- Object Storage
1. Local storage is the one where you can run the CCI (Cloud Computing Instance), it is the storage hosted in the physical node, built over a RAID 10. Technology: Switching to Netapp
2. SAN (Storage Area Network), is the storage outside the physical node, this way if the physical node goes down, we can recover/provision/run the vm (virtual machine) in another physical node. The performance is a little bit lower than the local storage. Technology: Isilon
3. SATA II, the hard drives used for the storage on the Bare Metal machines (physical servers), not built on RAID. Just 1 drive available for the hourly option, possibility to upgrade to 1 more drive in the monthly option.
4. Portable storage, is the storage that is attached to the CCI which is not the primary disk hosting the root file system, it means that we can attach disks either local or SAN to the CCI, and later we can attach/detach and move between the CCIs
5. NAS (Network Attached Storage), it is possible to create a NAS space in order to share storage space between different machines. Technology: Equalogics
6. Lockbox, is a NAS space of a maximum of 1Gb, just available in the monthly rate option.
7. iSCSI (internet Small Computer System Interface), it is possible to create a iSCSI space in order to attach to a machine, and attach/detach between different machines. It is also possible to share between different servers -> “Connect multiple servers to a single iSCSI LUN”. Technology: Dell Logics
8. Evault, is a space attached to a CCI where is possible to back up the CCI, not possible to back up a different CCI where is not attached. It is just available for the monthly rate option. Technology: Dell Logics
9. Object Storage, space for unstructured data that can be accessed from everywhere using a connector or the API. Technology: OpenStack Swift, on top a bunch of bare metal servers.
10. Quantastor, dedicated server with mass storage and QuantaStor software on top, protocols SAN and NAS. Technology: Baremetal servers, it is just a software solution on top of the server.
Storage options for the CCI:
Which means that the type of storage that we will choose for the root partition (1st disk) will determine the rest of disks. If we choose SAN we can choose up to 5 disks with different capacities from 40 GB to 2000 GB (first one options are 25 GB or 100 GB), if we choose local we can choose up to 2 disks: first one options are 25 GB or 100 GB, and second disk up to 300GB.
Here we are a table with the different storage services from where we can get access, and size:
You can find more info in www.softlayer.com